Seller: nevilleb1458 (599) 100%, Location: DROMANA, Victoria, Ships to: Free Local Pickup, Item: 123501735216 Colonial cabinet with American Civil War link history and Australian Colonial history.The most interesting aspect is that the cabinet was station built in rural Australia C1860 with Germanic influences using a timber from a Boston built ship the "Bold Hunter" which is mentioned in the Encyclopedia of Civil War Shipwrecks. " Bold Hunter was a Union cargo ship carrying a cargo of 1025 tons of coal, from Dundee, Scotland for Calcutta, India. She was captured on the 9th October 1863 and burned by the CSS Georgia on the 10th October 1863.ref. used W. Craig Gaines, Encyclopedia of Civil War Shipwrecks"This occurred in the Atlantic Ocean with 48 lives lost. The history of the Bold Hunter was she was a ship of 797 tons. Owners Paul Sears and Reuben Hopkins, et al of Boston. Built by James O. Curtis for above and burned October 10, 1863 about lat.19 degree N, Long. 20 degrees 3s" by Confederate Cruiser Georgia.(ref Article Recollections of a Rebel Reefer by James Morris Morgan) The "Ink stamp" on part of a packing case that arrived in Australia shows "Bold Hunter (id code) Flint & Tufts Boston.The Bold Hunter was built prior to 1858 by James O Curtis who operated 1850 to 1873 and probably was a clipper ship. The history of the cabinet, as we believe to be accurate, is that it came off Barnoolut Estate (Mt Gambier South Australia) and due to the unsophisticated construction was possibly made by a rural carpenter. It also has Germanic influence shown in the shape of the upper doors which sits with its Hamilton (Victoria) provenance both in Sabelberg and again with Barnoolut Estate (Mt Gambier S.A). The words H.P. Sabelberg Hamilton are written in pink on the back of the cabinet. It appears Mr Sabelberg ran a furniture emporium in Hamilton, was on the Water Board, was a Councillor and died in 1936. In the Colonial Australian period there was a significant German population as the area was known for wine production and the Germanic influence found its way into artisan furniture.The cabinet was lightly restored in 1982 when it was offered as a present for service on Barnoolut Estate to the previous owner. Internally the shelves have been added. It does show old repairs which you would expect from a country estate piece.